Monday, January 24, 2011

The Live Music Capital

I am definitely enjoying that aspect of Austin since we've been here. I love going to concerts. And I've mentioned before on this blog how important music is to me. That being said, I would love to experience more of the live music scene here in Austin. Somehow I need to figure out how to stay up to date on all the stuff that happens in Austin so we can catch some more great shows. :) If you have the info, please share!

So far, we've been to two great concerts! The first one was Brandon Heath and Jars of Clay. They rocked it! This one was the better overall concert experience. The whole concert was put on much better in terms of flow and lighting and such. Plus, both sets were fantastic. And of course it helped that we had free VIP seats that James got from work. :)

See all the people behind us? :)

Brandon Heath and his band

Jars of Clay

The second concert was just this past week and it was at Shoreline and we were not VIP, but it was ok because we could actually see more of the concert that way. I must say it was not advertised well, nor was it sponsored or run very well. Rebecca St. James opened, which I did not enjoy too much. She only did about four songs, spent a lot of time talking, and the lights stayed on the whole time. I mean, she's got a good voice and I don't mind her music, but it just didn't feel much like a concert to me. Then they spent like 30 minutes promoting a charity. Which is totally great, and I totally support this charity and what they do, but that is not why we came. We came to see MercyMe and you're just prolonging that experience. I just didn't think it was managed very well. Jars of Clay and Brandon Heath were actually supporting two charities, and I didn't have the feeling like I was conned into a fund-raising event there like I did at Shoreline. However, once we finally got to MercyMe, it was awesome! It finally kicked into concert mode, and they were amazing! Comparing the four artists separately, disregarding the details and focusing just on the individual sets, MercyMe blew the other three out of the water! Absolutely made my week and I know James loved it (and killed my voice, which is really what you want out of a concert, right?)!

I really wanted to crop this, but have no editing software at the moment.

MercyMe (and as if I didn't like them enough already, they threw some Beatles and Tom Petty into the mix!)


And they had THE coolest drum set I have ever seen! They lit up!

No comments:

Post a Comment