Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I like it! I like it a lot!

Alright, so maybe I watch a little too much TV because I can totally picture the guy who played Harry on "Third Rock From the Sun" saying that phrase in my head. Perfectly. So sue me.

I like to cross stitch. Yup, I am just that much of a loser. Maybe I was born in the wrong generation. Or maybe it's because I grew up watching my mom do it so much. Whenever we were going somewhere that she knew we'd be sitting around, she would take it with her. And in my bedroom growing up, there was always a framed piece that she had finished that matched the decor. Even know, there are several pieces that she finished and framed hanging in the kitchen. So either I was born in a generation that was not meant for me, or I inherited my love of all things creative from my mom. Or maybe both. I don't know. But either way, I like to cross stitch.

To me, it's the perfect craft for when you're sitting (like watching TV, or in the car, or whatever), doing something, but not really doing something. It keeps your hands busy without taking your focus away from the original task. And it doesn't require staring blankly into a computer screen until someone updates their Facebook. So I can still watch my favorite TV shows and hang out with the family but not be totally bored. And I can still be the dutiful passenger wife and stay awake on long road trips while my husband drives where ever.

A few Christmases ago, my mom got me all kinds of cool supplies and almost all the colors of thread they make. Hoops, things to stitch, books, organizers, all kinds of goodies. Unfortunately, with our current lack of space, my goodies have been reduced to this.








But I'm okay with that. Because at least I have space for it. It keeps me sane. So, I have all my pretty colors of thread, all organized in numeric order, in their little boxes. Which are labeled of course so I know which colors are where, with my dry erase marker so that it can be easily changed if necessary but is durable enough to stay legible.







Well, most of the colors fit in there. There are a few that didn't, but I didn't need another bin, so I made do with this other organizational tool that mom thought was cool.
Don't like it as much, but it works.














Anyway, I do a lot of baby bibs mostly right now, which is a whole separate post that will have to wait until a certain package arrives at its destination, but I do other things too. I've been working on this Precious Moments pattern off and on between other projects for like a year now. It's hard, which is why I had to color some of it, because there are so many different symbols that I couldn't see straight! I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it when it's finally done, but I like it.










And some of the other things I've finished, my grandma has made into pillows for me (or is in the process of it anyway). I haven't learned how to do that yet, but maybe someday.
















So now you've seen a little deeper into my slightly more old-fashioned hobby. In the future, I plan to post about the baby bibs I cross stitch, my actual scrapbooking, and maybe even my dabbling in photography. That is, if anyone is interested of course!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I need a tutor! When my grandmother died she left behind a TON of cross stitch samplers (she really liked the antique looking stuff), and had even started a couple and never finished. As I'm the only one in the family that is even remotely crafty like that, I got it all. Problem is, I don't know how to do it. I want to finish the two I have that she started, but I need to learn first. Teach me? Pretty please? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cross stitch as well! I haven't done it in years though!

    ReplyDelete